Sunday, June 12, 2011

A "New" Old Recipe ~ Tomato Soup Cake


I know, it sounds awful. I doubt if I ever make it, but the ingenuity of the frugal cook is an inspiration. Why or how did anyone think of using this cupboard staple in a dessert? When I think of tomato soup, I think of chilly autumn nights and grilled cheese sandwiches- not a spicy, cinnamon laced cake!

For your eating pleasure, I present the recipe for "Tomato Soup Cake"...

Ingredients:
1/4 pound shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 can of tomato soup
1 teaspoon baking soda–put in the soup
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons baking powder
Method:
Cream the butter until nice and fluffy. Add the sugar and mix well. Add the egg and mix well. Put in the tomato soup/baking soda combo.

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add to the moist ingredients until well mixed.
Bake the cake at 350 degrees in a well greased and floured 9" pan and bake for 40 minutes.

The result:



It is suggested to top with a cream cheese type frosting.

1 comment:

  1. You know what? I would definitely try this - it probably makes a good rich spice cake right? That might taste pretty good. But I agree, the frugality mentality is rather interesting from our convenience lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!